We kicked off our month of vegan eating with a lunch of socca, salad, and sauteed cauliflower. But we ate it before we thought to take a picture or write a recipe….
We were more thoughtful for our dinner. Caramelized onion, fennel and white bean soup and a green bean and potato salad inspired by Tal Ronnen’s green bean and fingerling potato salad with miso dressing from “The Conscious Cook.”
Caramelized Onion, Fennel, and White Bean Soup
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 large onions, sliced
1 large fennel bulb, sliced
1/2 tablespoon rosemary
1/2 tablespoon salt
3 cups cooked navy beans
6 cups water
1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, fennel and rosemary and saute until caramelized- about 1 hour.
2. Add white beans.
3. Deglaze with water. Allow the soup to come to a simmer.
4. Blend until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add more water until it reaches a desired consistency.
5. Top with chives, and enjoy with friends!
Potato and Green Bean Salad
8 potatoes, boiled
1 1/2 cups green beans, blanched
1 1/2 cups baby arugula
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dijon
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1 tablespoon chives, minced
1. Boil potatoes for 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove and set aside.
2. Using the same pot of water, blanch the green beans for 1-2 minutes. They should be bright green and crisp.
3. In a food processor, combine all dressing ingredients.
4. Lay arugula on a plate. Arrange potatoes and green beans on top of the arugula, and pour over the dressing.