Hi friends! Happy 4th of July! I’m celebrating by having blueberry pancakes with my Dad and sister for brunch, and mushroom crepes and braised collards with Mom for dinner. Yum City!
1/2 cup organic all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon maple syrup, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup blueberries
2 teaspoons melted vegan margarine, plus more for frying
1. Combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Whisk in almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
3. Add baking soda and lemon juice.
4. Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Melt vegan margarine and add to batter. Dollop about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Add blueberries to the pancake while it fries on the first side. When it looks dry on the edges and bubbles have formed, flip and let rest until golden brown.
5. Top with extra maple syrup and dig in!
Mushroom Crepes with Lemon Garlic Tahini Cream Sauce
3/4 cup chickpea flour
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil + more for brushing the crepe pan
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces mixed mushrooms, half quartered and half chopped
1 small can (170g) tomato paste
2 tablespoons light tahini
1 tablespoon sweet white miso
1 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons water
1. Combine chickpea flour and water. Set aside for 1-24 hours.
2. To make the filling: Sautee onion in 1 teaspoon oil until beginning to caramelize. Add mushrooms, and sautee until soft. Add tomato paste. Optional: add herbs, balsamic, and salt & pepper to taste. This filling will be thick (and it should be!) but add water if it gets too stiff.
3. To make the crepes: Heat oil in a pan suitable for making crepes. Pour in enough batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. When dry around the edges, flip and finish cooking. Keep warm in a low oven.
4. To make the lemon garlic tahini cream sauce: combine tahini, miso, lemon juice, garlic and water until a cream is formed.
5. To assemble: Smooth a spoonful of sauce on top of the crepe. Top with filling and roll, or fold over. Add another spoonful of sauce on top of folded or rolled crepe, and garnish to your heart’s content.
Braised Collard Greens with Yellow Tomatoes
1 bunch collards, washed but not dried, with stems removed and chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
3 yellow tomatoes
1: Sautee onion with salt and pepper until soft.
2. Add collards, cover and cook until soft but bright green- about 10 minutes.
3. Chop tomatoes, and toss with the greens just before serving to warm through.
Optional: Add a splash of balsamic vinegar