Last year, I started “Family Dinner” for my Dad and sister. They typically eat out, and Family Dinner is all about showing them the joy of cooking at home. On the menu: Fettucine Alredo (from Chloe Coscarelli’s Chloe’s Kitchen),Pesto Cherry Tomatoes, Kale Chips, and Whipped Chocolate Truffle Mousse with Strawberries.
Good, old fashioned home cooking!
1 pound fettuccine
1 cup cashews, soaked
2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons sweet white miso
1. To make sauce: Sautee onion in oil until soft. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. Puree in a blender with cashews, water, lemon juice, salt, pepper and miso.
2. Prepare pasta according to packaged instructions.
3. Toss pasta with sauce. Garnish with basil if you wish, and serve hot.
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup basil leaves
1 lemon, juiced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons oil
salt and pepper
1. In a food processor, combine basil, lemon, garlic and oil until smooth and emulsified.
2. Toss dressing with tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
1 bunch kale, stems removed and torn into palm sized pieces
1 tablespoon oil
salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Toss kale with oil and salt. Spread on a baking tray and bake until crisp, about 20 minutes.
Whipped Chocolate Truffle Mousse
10 ounces chocolate chips (vegan)
1 can coconut milk
2 tablespoons vanilla almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
1. Use a small sauce pan to create a double boiler. Simmer water and place a heat proof bowl on top, so that the steam from the water will heat the bowl.
2. In the heat proof bowl, combine almond milk and coffee. Add chocolate chips and melt.
3. Add coconut milk and whisk until smooth.
4. Chill in the fridge at least 2 hours, and up to overnight.
5. When the chocolate has set, whisk it on high for 30- 45 seconds. It will turn lighter in color and fluff up.
6. Serve with strawberries (optional)