I love pancakes. I had been worried about creating a vegan version of my favorite breakfast treat, but it turns out vegan pancakes are even better than the original. When you use eggs and milk in baking, you simply have to ask what the function is and then replace it with plant-based foods. Eggs bind, leaven and add moisture in baking. If you look at them as functional and not essential, they become quite easy to replace. -Amanda
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or other flour)
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1 tablespoon poppyseeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (or lemon zest)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 cup frozen mixed berries, defrosted
1. In a bowl, combine flour, poppyseeds and baking powder.
2. Stir in coconut milk, lemon extract, and maple syrup.
3. On top of the batter, sprinkle over the baking soda. Add lemon juice over baking soda and watch the chemical reaction burst! Then stir it up, so all the bubbles get trapped in the batter. This will make for perfect, pillowy puffs.
4. Pour onto a hot griddle. Flip when the edges look dry and bubbles have formed in the pancake. Cook another 30 seconds, or until cooked through.
5. Pour over berries and serve!