My sister is a picky pancake eater. She likes them super fluffy and barely golden. I’m overprotective, and I don’t like feeding her breakfast with little redeeming nutritional value. We found a happy compromise with these. Well, she doesn’t know it’s a compromise…
I used white spelt flour, which performs slightly differently than whole wheat or all purpose flour. If you were to use a regular wheat flour, I’d cut back by a few tablespoons. Bon Appetit!- Amanda
Chocolate Chip Spelt Pancakes
1/2 cup white spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup soymilk, or other non-dairy milk
1/2 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar, or lemon juice
1 tablespoon chocolate chips
Non-hydrogenated vegan butter and/or maple syrup for serving
1. In a bowl. combine flour, nutmeg and baking powder.
2. Whisk in soymilk, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
3. On top of the batter, sprinkle the baking soda. Pour the vinegar on top and watch the magic happen! Stir to combine.
4. Heat a pan over medium. Pour in 1-2 tablespoons of batter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Flip when the edges look dry and bubbles have formed.
5. Cook for only about 10 seconds for a light golden color. Cook a little longer if you prefer more of a golden brown.