I adore socca, and use it as a plate for all manner of salads. This is definitely an eccentricity of mine and one I wouldn’t impose on an unadventurous eater. Both of these recipes are fantastic and can be happily made on separate occasions. But if you’re like me, you like them stacked on top of each other. -Amanda
2/3 cup chickpea flour (besan)
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon oil
salt and pepper
1. Combine chickpea flour and water. Let rest 20 minutes- 24 hours. The longer the better!
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Pour in the batter.
3. When it looks dry around the edges, flip it over. If you’re not that daring, put it in an oven preheated at 400 Fahrenheit.
4. Allow to finish cooking until cooked through and golden brown. It should have a crunchy crust and custard-like center.
Fresh Corn Salsa
1 ear fresh corn kernals (about 3/4 cup)
1/3 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Combine all ingredients. It’s that easy.