I love making sushi almost as much as I love eating it. Chloe Coscarelli is to thank again for the shitake and avocado inspiration. The salad dressing is tangy and savory, and can be used on all manner of veggies. -Amanda
Shitake Avocado Sushi
Makes 2 rolls
1 1/3 cup short grain brown rice, cooked and cooled
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
2 sheets nori, toasted
1/2 avocado, sliced
6 shitake mushroom caps, sliced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon shoyu, or other soy sauce
1. In a sautee pan, sear mushrooms in oil until nicely browned. Deglaze with shoyu.
2. On a sushi mat, lay a piece of nori with the shiny side facing down. Place half the rice on top and spread evenly over the seaweed.
3. Place half the avocado slices and sauteed mushrooms in a line parallel to the mat.
4. Roll the sushi tightly, applying even pressure as you roll.
5. Slice and serve.
Tahini Miso Dressing
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup water
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 tablespoon white miso
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Combine all ingredients until smooth.
2. Serve over greens.