It’s zucchini season, and what better way to sneak in a little extra veg than pancakes? I have to thank Smitten Kitchen’s “Zucchini Bread Pancakes” for the inspiration. These are more doughy and dense than my typical batch, but yumilicious all the same! -Amanda
Zucchini Bread Pancakes
Makes 9 silver dollar cakes
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons almond butter
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon maple syrup + more for serving
1/3 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or other acid
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1. In a bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, and spices.
2. In another bowl, combine almond butter, water, vanilla and maple syrup until homogenous.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in zucchini until evenly distributed.
4. On top of the batter, sprinkle baking soda. Pour over the vinegar, marvel at the fizz, and mix it in.
5. Dollop spoonfuls of batter onto a heated, nonstick cooking pan. Flip when the edges are dry and bubbles have formed. Cook another 30 seconds- 1 minute, or until cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, heat blueberries in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. They will reduce to a syruppy compote.
7. Drizzle the blueberry sauce, and additional maple syrup.