I love simple recipes that really showcase their ingredients. This is one of those treats. It uses only 6 ingredients including salt and pepper. The real secret ingredient is time. But it’s well worth it! The French Onion Soup tastes melts into the creamy rice. Definitely use arborio rice if you can for a super creamy consistency. Happy eating!- Amanda
French Onion Risotto
2 large onions, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup arborio rice
2 cups water
1/2 cup cashew cream (recipe below)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Caramelize onions in the olive oil. This will take approximately 20 minutes. This is the most important step so don’t skimp on time- wait until the onions are really soft and brown. Season to taste.
2. Toss the rice into the onions. Add 1/2 cup of water to deglaze, picking up all the flavorful bits from the bottom by stirring vigorously.
3. Continue to stir in 1/2 cup of water at a time, allowing it to absorb before you add more. This should take approximately 20 minutes. Season to taste.
4. Add the cashew cream. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
5. Season to taste, and serve.
1/2 cup cashews
2 cups water
1. Cover cashews in 1 cup water for 4-6 hours.
2. Drain and rinse cashews. Puree with additional 1 cup water until smooth.
3. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.