Norwegian rye bread is so hearty, you only need one slice to make a sandwich! This isn’t a Scandinavian bread, but I do like the density the rye flour gives this loaf. The spices add a fun twist and make the bread even more fragrant and delicious when toasted. But it would also make for a great matpakke! Enjoy! -Amanda
Multigrain Bread with Fennel, Coriander and Brown Sugar
2/3 cup bread flour
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup rye flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1- 1 1/3 cup water
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Knead until smooth, and form into a ball.
3. Let rest for 12-2o hours.
4. Punch the dough down. Knead, and let rise additional hour. Meanwhile…
5. Preheat dutch oven in 450 Fahrenheit oven.
6. Place dough in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, covered.
7. Uncover and continue to bake until dark golden color is reached.
8. Cool, slice and enjoy!