Believe it or not, the jam is as red as the picture. I do remember seeing cranberries at some stores in Norway, but they are ubiquitous in New England at this time of year. I love how tart and tangy they are, not to mention the incredible color. I really enjoy the sourness of cranberries, but add more sugar if you favor a sweeter jam. Think of this as a grown up, open faced pb & j. -Amanda
Spelt Toast with Lemon Ginger Cranberry Jam and Peanut Butter
1 slice spelt toast (see recipe below)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
3-4 tablespoons lemon ginger cranberry jam (see recipe below)
1. Assemble and dig in!
Yields 12 slices
1 cup bread flour
1 cup whole grain spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup water
1. Combine all ingredients. Knead until smooth. Let rest 12-20 hours.
2. Punch down the dough. Knead briefly, and allow to rise additional hour. Meanwhile…
3. Preheat a dutch oven in 450 Fahrenheit oven.
4. After the dough has risen a second time, place it in the preheated dutch oven. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 5–10 minutes, or until dark golden color is reached.
5. Cool, slice, toast and serve!
Lemon Ginger Cranberry Jam
1 bag fresh cranberries
1/2- 3/4 cup water
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 tablespoon vegan cane sugar, or other sweetener
1/2 inch of ginger, minced
pinch of salt
2-3 tablespoons chia seeds
1. In a saucepan, combine cranberries, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, ginger and salt. Cook over low heat until the cranberries pop.
2. Take off the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
3. Let gel for 15 minutes. Place in air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.