Happy Thanksgiving! I fondly remember celebrating last year with the lovely Writing Center ladies and our boss. As American as this holiday might be, I think it’s worth spreading the tradition across the globe. You never need an excuse to express gratitude, but it is wonderful to take a day to celebrate and reflect on the overwhelming joy in our lives. To all my Norwegian friends, I am utterly thankful for your presence in my life, and you’re in my heart today (and everyday). -Amanda
Dried Cranberry and Pecan Bread
2 cups organic all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
1/3 cup chopped candied ginger (optional)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tablespoon honey
1. Combine flour, yeast, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Toss in cranberries, pecans, orange zest and candied ginger until evenly coated in flour.
3. Stir in honey and water until combined.
4. Let rest 12-20 hours.
5. When you are ready to bake, punch down the dough, and knead lightly. Preheat a dutch oven at 450 Fahrenheit while the dough is on it’s second rise.
6. When the dutch oven is blazing hot (at least 30 minutes in the preheated oven), place the dough inside it and cover with the lid. Bake 30 minutes.
7. Remove the lid and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
8. Let cool completely. Slice and serve.