Yet again, I am taking inspiration from Chloe Coscarelli. This time, inspiration comes in the form of her “Black Bean Baby Cakes with Pineapple Salsa.” I took Chloe’s advice and topped the burger with salsa, rather than fixing it up on a bun. But these would be fabulous any which way you want them. What’s great about making these burgers is you can freeze them, and have them on hand for busy nights. Happy eating! -Amanda
Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa
Yield: 7 burgers
For the burgers:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup corn meal or corn flour
1 slice whole grain bread, toasted
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons water
For the salsa:
1 mango, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 red jalapeno, diced
2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
1/2 lime juiced
salt, to taste
Directions for the burgers:
1. Saute onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until caramelized. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, pulse beans until they begin to break down. Remove and set aside. Combine beans with onions, carrots and corn flour.
3. In a food processor, pulse the toasted bread until crumbs have formed. Add to the black bean mixture.
4. Add chili powder, salt and cilantro. Add water if the mixture seems to dry.
5. Mix with your hands until you reach a consistency that will bind into patties.
6. Form 1/4 cup of the mixture into patties. If freezing, stop at this point. Place the patties in a freezer bag, label, and stash.
7. If you want to enjoy your burgers now, heat additional 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Cook the burgers for a few minutes on each side, until lightly golden.
8. Top with salsa (see directions below) and dig in!
Directions for the salsa:
1. Combine all ingredients. Done!