This dish was a staple in my house when I was growing up. It’s simple, cozy, and comforting. There are only a few ingredients, but don’t let that fool you. There is an alchemical depth of flavor. Enjoy! -Amanda
6-8 ounces soba noodles
1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 leek, chopped
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup water
black pepper, to taste
1. Over medium high heat, sear cabbage and leek in the toasted sesame oil until it begins to caramelize.
2. Deglaze the cabbage mixture with tamari. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. You want there to be enough water for the cabbage to begin to steam. Cover the pan, and let braise until soft.
3. Meanwhile, prepare soba noodles according to package instruction.
4. Drain noodles and toss to combine with cabbage.
5. Season with black pepper.