My house smells like Christmas! I’ve modified Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies recipe with great success. The original recipe calls for canola oil and 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg. I had neither, so I substituted olive oil and omitted the nutmeg. It worked for me, but do as you please. Decorate with icing, sprinkles or chocolate! Be sure to play a cheery tune or two (can I recommend, “Walking in the Air” from The Snowman) and make a few paper snowflakes while you’re at it. Happy holidays! -Amanda
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup soymilk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1. In a blender, combine oil, sugar, molasses and soymilk until emulsified.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients.
3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until a stiff dough forms. Let chill at least one hour and up to 3 days.
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
5. Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out any shape that makes your heart happy!
6. Place cut out cookies on a greased and floured cookie tray.
7. Bake 12-16 minutes.
8. Let cool. Ice and eat!