I love the fresh start feeling I get upon returning home from a weekend away. I spent a wonderful weekend in Maine with my roommate, and decided to fresh start my week with an experiment in scone making. Ginger and lemon are a classic pair, and they make for a spicy, aromatic and elegant breakfast treat. Enjoy! -Amanda
Candied Ginger and Meyer Lemon Scones
Yields 12 scones
2 cups flour
1/3 cup cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, room temperature
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
1 meyer lemon, zest and juice
2/3 cup candied ginger, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Use your fingers, of a mixer, to cut in the coconut oil. You want the pieces of oil to be no bigger than a pea.
4. Mix in the coconut milk, meyer lemon juice, zest and candied ginger. The dough should resemble biscuit dough.
5. Pat the dough out until it is about 1 inch thick. Cut into your desired shape and place it on the baking tray. Brush with a little extra coconut milk and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Chill the scones. (Optional)
7. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden.