There are few things that make me happier than waking up and baking. It gives you an easy sense of accomplishment that sets the tone for the day- not to mention it makes your house smell amazing. Breakfast for my Monday morning class this week is Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins. These will be dense and moist and flecked with chocolate. Enjoy! -Amanda
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Yield: 15 muffins
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup grated zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Spice Sugar (3 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
0. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
1. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and chocolate chips.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, coconut milk, sugar, molasses, vinegar, zucchini and vanilla.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
4. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with spice sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and fully cooked.
5. Remove muffins from the pan and allow to cool.