It has been a crazy week in Boston. It’s fortunate that a side effect of tragedy can be a greater sense of community, but I’m saddened by the extreme othering I’ve seen happening on all sides. I’m really in no position to comment on the events of the past week, nor do I know how to make sense of them. But I do know that what I can do to contribute to the healing is to bake. Seriously. A muffin can be a tangible thought, a moment of care wrapped up in a paper liner. These are light and sweet and aromatically uplifting. Every small action matters, and a collection of small actions can move us forward into a more compassionate place. Happy new week! -Amanda
Lemon and Lavender Muffins
Adopted from Chloe Coscarelli’s Lemon Olive Oil Cake
Yields: 19 cupcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup lavender syrup
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 2 lemons, divided
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl combine lavender syrup, water, olive oil, vanilla, 2/3 of the lemon zest, and lemon juice.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
5. Line a muffin tin with liners. Fill each cup 2/3 full.
6. Make lemon sugar by combining remaining lemon zest with granulated sugar. Sprinkle the lemon sugar liberally onto cupcakes.
7. Bake 25 minutes, or until set and lightly golden.