Real Mexican food is incredibly complex and absolutely beautiful. This is not real Mexican food, but is a really yummy and quick dinner with fresh, bright flavors and colors. Enjoy! -Amanda
Black Bean Tacos
10-12 small corn tortillas
1 tablespoon oil (olive, canola, etc.)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
pinch cayenne pepper
1 lime, zest and juice
1 can organic black beans, drained
2/3 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
2 avocados, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Sautee onion with cumin, oregano, cayenne and lime zest in the oil over medium-high heat. They should begin to char on the outside, but retain their crunch.
2. Add the drained can of black beans. Mash slightly- this adds texture and body.
3. Add the brown rice and mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keep over low heat while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
4. To make a fresh salsa, combine cilantro, tomatoes and red onion. Toss with lime juice and salt.
5. Warm the corn tortillas. You can do this by placing them in a skillet over medium heat, or placing them over a low flame for a few seconds. Be careful not to burn your house down.
6. To assemble the tacos, fill each tortilla with the black bean and rice mixture. Top with slices of avocado and salsa.