These are delicious afternoon, crunchy hippy cookies, inspired by Smitten Kitchen. The addition of orange zest is the secret to making these taste uniquely light. Happy eating! -Amanda
1 cup dried black mission figs, chopped
1 1/4 cup quick rolled oats
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
3/4 cup flaked almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, combine figs, oats, flor, almonds, salt and cinnamon.
2. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
3. Mix wet and dry ingredients.
4. Press into mini muffin tins, or into a 9×9 pan if you prefer bar cookies.
5. Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 8-11 minutes, until golden.
6. Let cool and store in your favorite cookie jar!