This bread is perfect. Dense, moist, not too sweet, but with that toffee-like intensity of molasses. We ate the first loaf before I could take a picture. Spread a slice with pecan butter or apple butter and you’re in heaven. -Amanda
Inspired by Joy the Baker
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 2/3 cup soymilk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1. Preheat oven to 325 Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, combine soymilk and vinegar. Let stand until thick and curdled – you’ve just made vegan buttermilk!
4. Add the molasses to the soymilk and whisk until combined.
5. Stir together wet and dry ingredients.
6. Pour into a loaf pan and bake 1 hour.
7. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.