Sometimes it’s fun to pick a vegetable as a dinner theme. This week’s vegetable was cauliflower. I cut a head of cauliflower into steaks and charred them in the oven. I used the remaining florets in a mash with millet and white truffle oil and topped the whole thing with seared mushrooms in a white wine caper sauce. Perfection! -Amanda
Cauliflower Steak with White Truffle Cauliflower Mash and White Wine Mushroom Sauce
2 heads cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup millet
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon white truffle oil
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons capers
1 lemon, zested
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 475 Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the cauliflower into 4 steaks. Set aside remaining florets.
3. Brush the cauliflower steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until dark, golden brown. Flip and cook another 20 minutes until tender and charred.
4. Meanwhile, combine cauliflower florets with millet, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until millet is tender. Drizzle in truffle oil and mash until smooth.
5. In a skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil. When the mushrooms are seared, add flour and cook until slightly golden. Deglaze with wine, and add remaining garlic, capers and lemon zest. Season to taste.
6. To plate, lay a bed of mashed cauliflower on the plate. Top with the charred cauliflower steak and pour the mushroom sauce down over the top.