I’ve made pumpkin bars for breakfast on Thanksgiving since 7th grade. The original home ec recipe was lost years ago, but nevertheless I’ve steadfastly maintained some semblance of tradition. Both pumpkin and banana carry spice well, and since I had both on hand, I decided to marry them in muffin form. Happy Thanksgiving! -Amanda
Banana Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from Chloe’s Kitchen
Yields: 18 muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large, ripe banana
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
1/2 cup canola oil, or other neutral tasting oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup flaked almonds
1/4 cup brown or turbinado sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add remaining wet ingredients to a blender. Blend until totally smooth.
4. Whisk together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
5. Fill each muffin 2/3 full.
6. Sprinkle over flaked almonds and brown sugar.
7. Bake for 18-25 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch.