My lovely roommate was born on Valentine’s Day, so we celebrated her existence this year with a special dessert. Cardamom is her favorite flavor, so we put some serious spin on the traditional creme brulee by adding a heavy-handed sprinkle of the spice. This was a delicious way to celebrate our love for her. Enjoy! -Amanda
Cardamom Coconut Creme Brulee
Adapted from Chloe’s Vegan Desserts
Yields: 4 servings
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup cornsatarch
1/2 cup cane sugar, plus extra for brulee
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Mix 1/4 cup coconut milk with cornstarch until totally smooth. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the coconut milk and sugar in a small saucepan. Add the salt, cardamom and vanilla.
3. When the sugar has dissolved, whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Continue whisking until a thick pudding has formed.
4. Pour into serving dishes, and allow to chill completely (8 hours or overnight).
5. When ready to serve, sprinkle the top liberally with sugar.
6. Place the creme brulee in the broiler until the sugar has melted and formed a dark brown crust.
7. Allow the crust to cool, then crack into it with a spoon. Share with loved ones.