Our CSA has been bursting with loads of summer produce for the past several weeks. In the constant struggle to stay on top of it, the Chocolate Beet Cake was born. The beets add moisture, density and a surprising rich, complexity. But they are a behind-the-scenes ingredient- no one will ever be able to tell. -Amanda
Chocolate Beet Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium beets, steamed and peeled
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a blender combine vegetable oil, beets, water, vinegar and vanilla until the beets are totally pureed.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Bake in a cake tin for 40-45 minutes, or in muffin tins for 20-25 minutes.