If you’ve been anywhere near Trader Joe’s lately, you’ve probably been accosted by all things pumpkin. Pumpkin coffee, pumpkin croutons, pumpkin pop tarts, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie. These pumpkin products don’t really taste like pumpkin, but rather are heavily scented with cinnamon and autumn spices. In my opinion, pumpkin itself doesn’t have a very strong flavor. Sweet potatoes are my preferred orange vegetable. Caramel sweet and vibrantly hued, they hold their own in a silky smooth and spicy pie. Enjoy! -Amanda
Octuberfest Sweet Potato Pie
Adapted from Chloe’s Vegan Desserts
1 9′ pie crust
1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cane sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups vanilla almond milk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. each ground nutmeg and ground coriander
1. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
2. Roll out your pie crust and fit it to your pie tin. Trim away any excess crust that hangs over the edge of your pan.
3. In a blender, puree remaining ingredients until silky smooth.
4. Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
6. Remove and chill for at least 4 hours.
7. Slice and serve.